Dear Irish Climbing Community
At last! After over 4 months of closure, your Awesome Walls climbing centre is ready to open again and we are really excited to welcome you back! We have been working hard to ensure that our amazing facility can reopen in as safe a manner as possible for you and our awesome team of staff. It has been an incredibly challenging period for everyone but we’re feeling positive and hopeful that with your support and a community wide considerate approach to respecting each other, we’ll adapt to our new way of operating easily. We’ve drawn on all available government guidance and indoor climbing industry advice to implement new safety measures and operating procedures.
Here is what you need to know:
- We reopen on Monday July 20th.
- Normal opening hours will be in effect:
- 10am – 10pm Mon – Fri,
- 10am – 8pm Weekends and Bank Holidays.
- We will adhere to an occupancy limit of 50 people.
- Climbers are now required to check out as they leave in order to allow capacity management.
- Pre-booking will not be required for casual climbers and boulderers.
- Please stay home if you have symptoms of Covid-19 or if you have recently been in contact with anyone who has it.
- We ask all visitors to respect and adhere to social distancing guidelines.
- Please sanitise your hands on entry, during your session and as you leave.
- We request that customers consider wearing a face covering when entering/leaving the building through reception and anywhere in which a 2m social distance cannot be maintained such as toilets. If customers wish to wear face coverings elsewhere then please feel free to do so.
- Members are no longer allowed to sign in and supervise novice climbers. Please introduce friends and family to indoor climbing through a pre-booked induction course.
- Competent Members can still sign in and supervise up to two under 18’s for whom they are the legal guardian.
- The Training room is now strictly adult members only.
- EFT memberships will be automatically unfrozen on our reopening date July 20th. If you would like to change this you can now make an account change request remotely via the Membership Amendment Form on our EFT website page.
We know there may seem like a lot of changes happening but let me assure you, the centre is looking better than ever and our awesome staff are looking forward to welcoming you back. So dust off your climbing shoes and get ready to remember how to climb 🙂
All of the above measures are new to us all and the government guidance seems to be changing on a weekly basis so we politely ask you, our members, to be patient and understanding as we continue to adapt the centre to meet your needs and the most up to date advice.
Awesome Walls Ireland Covid-19 Procedures
Version 4 (17/07/2020)
The aim of this document is to outline the operation of Awesome Walls Climbing Centres in a safe manner in accordance with all government guidelines and best practices suggested by Ireland Active, Mountaineering Ireland and the ABC.
The ABC have released the following statement:
It should be recognised that whilst climbing walls will take all reasonable steps to prevent the transfer of CV to its staff and customers, there will always be a risk that an infected person visits the centre and either through aerosol action or smear infection, transfers the virus to others. Our customers should be made aware of this and make their own decision given their specific circumstances whether this small residual risk is one they are willing to take. The residual risk should be no greater than in many other public spaces and facilities that are already open or will re-open in the coming months.
Awesome Walls asks all customers and staff to adhere to relevant government guidance in relation to social distancing. Please maintain and respect others 2m social distance as much as possible.
Awesome Walls will limit each location’s occupancy to a maximum of 50 people until allowed to increase this capacity limit. We ask that you, our climbers, pay attention to these limits and apply a common-sense approach to choosing your climbing location. If an area looks busy to you, please consider climbing elsewhere and maintaining social distancing.
Tight Spots & Face Masks
We would ask that customers consider using Face masks or similar PPE when spending time in areas that are difficult to maintain safe social distancing. These areas include doorways, reception, toilets, corridors and anywhere in which maintaining a 2 m social distance is impractical. If customers wish to wear face coverings elsewhere then please feel free to do so.
Hand sanitising stations will be positioned around the centres to allow for easy and regular use. Members are requested to sanitise their hands before entering the building and advised to do so regularly throughout their visit.
Touch points are areas or items that are touched on a frequent basis by customers. Touch points will be cleaned on a regular basis in line with government guidance.
Booking Time Slots
Pre-booking will not be required for casual climbing. Awesome Walls will review this continuously and if centre demand is higher than our 50 people capacity limit we will introduce bookable time slots at peak times to reduce queuing and ensure members have access to their climbing centre.
In an effort to minimise counter time for both customers and staff we highly recommend that customers consider one of our pre-payment methods:
- EFT – Sign up for our easy and great value monthly payment plan.
- 11 – 4 – 10 Punch Cards – pay online for 10 climbs and receive 11.
- Add credit to your membership account by purchasing a Gift Card of any amount.
By using a pre-payment method you will be able to enter the centre faster and reduce queuing times. If paying for entrance and/or cafe purchases, please consider using contactless card payment.
In adhering to social distancing guidance we request that climbers do not climb directly next to another person. If you wish to climb a line next to someone, please wait until you can do so while maintaining a minimum of 2m distance.
The easiest way to limit the transmission of COVID-19 in a climbing centre environment is through regular washing or sanitising of our hands. Climbing holds, ropes, extenders, boulder matting and gym equipment cannot be sanitised with sufficient regularity to replace the need for us as climbers to adopt new, more hygienic behaviours while using an indoor climbing centre. Please ensure that your hands are dry before climbing or handling equipment.
Hire equipment will still be available. As per all other equipment in the centre, we ask that customers and staff wash or sanitise their hands before hiring equipment and after returning it to reception.
Cleaning after a COVID case has been identified.
Awesome Walls will commit to following all relevant guidance in relation to the necessary measures following the reporting of staff or customers contracting COVID-19.
Awesome Walls will display a minimum of 1 awareness poster per 100 sqm at key locations in line with ABC guidelines.
Climbers are permitted to use both liquid and powdered climbing chalk without restrictions.
Drinks & Food
Hot drinks can be served in both ‘take-away’ cups and normal washable cups. Cans and bottles will be available as normal. A reduced selection of food items will be available from our cafe. The provision of additional food items will be reviewed and all relevant government guidance followed.
Our Commitment to you
We at Awesome Walls will endeavour to do our utmost to provide a safe environment for our staff and customers by following all government guidelines and advice.
In return, we ask all our valued customers to comply with our procedures above in an effort to protect each other.
Thank you very much for your understanding,